I am very excited by this challenge because Husband and I are very concerned about becoming greener and and I love the idea of living more simply and cleaner. It is very motivating to see that a lot of her recommended activities for the challenge are things I or we already do.
- I eat on average 18-20 meals from home or at home on a given week (excluding take-out).
- I use my own cloth bags at the grocery store.
- We recycle everything possible. Husband even drives slightly out of his way to a special recycling center that recycles more things.
- I utilize the library as much as possible.
- I use a plastic refillable water bottle.
- Husband and I have started taking our own cloth washcloths to the gym so we don't always have to use a paper towel.
- I'm making some Christmas gifts for people.
- We are having a major yard sale this month.
- Husband is looking into buying carbon offsets from our power provider.
- I try to recycle all papers in my classroom and encourage my students to do so too.
- I have designated students in my class to turn off computer, lights and our c.d. player.
- I have given up getting my nails done (mani or pedi). This past weekend I got a manicure but that was a part of a girl's day with my mother-in-law.
- Husband and I are going to visit our local farmer's market on Saturday.
- We rent videos from Netflix instead of driving to the video store.
- My mom is planting a major garden this summer (eggplants, tomatoes, strawberries, onions, potatoes, corn, squash, etc.). I intend to help but mainly eat what she grows.
What I wish I could do in order to live more simply and healthier:
- Carpool to work. I live about 10 miles a way but no one that lives close to me works at my school.
- Remove my desire to buy new clothes. Since I've lost weight I need more spring/summer clothing but I feel guilty buying more.
- Run to the YMCA instead of driving. I live in a rural area and it is hard to walk or run anywhere.